Visiting Hours and Guidelines
When you are a patient at John Dempsey Hospital, visits by relatives and friends are encouraged to make the your stay more enjoyable. With your doctor's permission, you may also see visitors in either the sitting room or the visitors' waiting area provided on each floor.
In order to provide for your comfort and care, visitors are asked to observe the following rules:
- Visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (or 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. as posted in some areas) unless you are notified by a nurse, of additional restrictions.
- Only two visitors per patient are permitted at a time.
- Visitors under the age of 12 are generally not allowed on the floor, except with special permission.
- Smoking by patients, visitors and staff is prohibited.
- Visitors are asked to check with a nurse before bringing food or beverages to a patient.
- Visitors are requested to keep visits brief and to speak softly.
Intensive Care Unit
Visitors are generally restricted to immediate family. Because of the intensity of care given in this area, 10-minute visits on an hourly basis are recommended.
Psychiatry/Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit
For more information, visit the Psychiatry/Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit page.
Geriatric Psychiatry Unit
For more information, visit the Geriatric Psychiatry Unit page.
Children under the age of 12 may be permitted to visit under unusual circumstances. Please ask the Nursing Manager on the floor.
Exceptions to these rules may be made on an individual basis. Please be sure to consult with your physician or primary nurse.
Family and friends can reach a patient by calling our patient information number at 860-679-2387. The number is staffed from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.