The application period for the 2016 Summer Student Volunteer Program will be from February 1, 2016 until February 20, 2016. Any forms received before or after these dates will be denied.
Summer Student Volunteer Program
Thank you for inquiring about the UConn Health Summer Student Volunteer Program. This program is designed to provide brief experiences for students who have a specific interest in health careers while providing useful services to UConn Health staff and patients.
Please consider all of your summer commitments before beginning this process. Potential volunteers should be able to commit to a minimum of 40 hours during the two months of service. If you have other programs scheduled for this summer, be sure that you are able to commit to the required hours for UConn Health. Do not take someone else’s chance to volunteer by over booking yourself. Openings are very limited.
This program is scheduled to open on February 1, 2016 to students who are at least 15 years of age by March 1, 2016. Your Unpaid Experience Request Form must be received between February 1, 2016 and February 20, 2016 in order to be considered as a candidate for this program.
All necessary forms will be sent to you from UConn Health's Volunteer Services Department to ensure that you get the most recent version of all forms. If you apply before the application process opens on February 1, 2016, your Unpaid Experience Request Form will be denied and you will be asked to reapply after the process begins. Out-of-date forms will not be processed.
All interviews will be held during the month of April. If you have volunteered previously at UConn Health, you will be given special preference. Only those candidates who are interviewed and later pass a health screening will be invited to attend an orientation in June of 2016.
Steps to Become a Summer Student Volunteer:
- Complete and submit the Unpaid Experience Request Form to Human Resources if you are 15 years of age by March 1, 2016 (follow instructions on the form to submit).
- Expect an email from Volunteer Services, which will include an Application Form, a Parental Consent Form, and a School Referral Form. Mail the first two documents to the address at the bottom of the application. Your school referral form should be mailed from your school.
- A member of the Volunteer Services Department will contact you to set up an appointment for an interview.
- During your interview you will receive information about the health screening process. If you are under the age of 18, you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to your health screening or you will not be seen.
- Attend an orientation program which you will be invited to attend after you pass your health screening.
- Obtain a picture identification badge from the Police Department after completion of all other requirements, and wear it every time you volunteer.
If your application is received between February 1 and February 20, 2016, you will be called to schedule an interview with a staff member from Volunteer Services.
During the interview, volunteer opportunities, the health screening process and the orientation will be discussed. After you clear your health screening, you will be invited to a Volunteer Services Orientation.
If you have any questions, please call Lisa at 860-679-2381 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Thank you for considering UConn Health for your volunteer service. Your willingness to share your skills, your efforts and your valuable time is greatly appreciated by staff and patients at UConn Health.